BAR Independent Alternative Dispute Resolution Service
Advice & Support
From 1st January 2016, all customer complaints made against a BAR Member will be handled exclusively by The Property Ombudsman (TPO) Ltd, who is a qualified, independent and approved Consumer ADR body under the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Competent Authorities and Information) Regulations 2015.
BAR continues to regulate its Members in line with its Membership Criteria and CTSI Approved Code of Practice.
Before TPO can consider your complaint, You must refer the matter to the BAR Member in the first instance and no later than 12 months after your move took place.
The Member must
- Acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days of receipt
- Conduct an internal investigation and provide You with a formal written outcome within 15 working days to the customer
If You remain dissatisfied, the Member must:
- Provide You with a written statement expressing their final viewpoint following a second review of your complaint
Please note that Members have up to 8 weeks to resolve any complaint and/or provide the customer with their final viewpoint letter.
Should you remain dissatisfied and wish to refer your complaint to TPO:
- You must refer your complaint to TPO no later than 12 months after the BAR Member issues their final viewpoint letter if not satisfied and;
- Not raise any new issues to TPO – they will not be considered!
For a more detailed view, please download our Overall Complaints Process and see TPO’s Consumer Guide below.
For immediate urgent advice, or if you have any queries regarding this process, please call our Consumer Affairs Team on 01923 699 486 or via our contact form below