With the successful launch of the first software release for HMRC’s new Customs Declaration Service (CDS) this week, we wanted to take this opportunity to offer support so you can help your members prepare for moving from CHIEF to CDS.
CDS will replace the existing Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system over three phases between August and early 2019. The majority of traders who import or export goods outside of the EU will start using CDS after November 2018, once their software provider or in-house software team has developed a CDS compatible software package. A group of importers who make certain supplementary declarations will start using CDS before this, but there is no action for businesses to take unless they have been contacted by HMRC to be part of this group.
We would like to work with your association to ascertain your members’ readiness for CDS and to provide them with the relevant information to support their migration.
We would like to work with you and support businesses by:
- Either attending your trade meetings/seminars or providing material you could use at these meetings
- Sharing and disseminating CDS communications via your channels which may include your website, newsletters, social media links etc.
- Attending 1-2-1 engagements with you and your members, where required.
- Providing a readiness checklist and a communications product that can be shared with your members.
- Understanding specific challenges your members have and identify ways to support them.
We will contact you following receipt of this email, by telephone, to discuss how we can take this forward. Please let us know if we should contact an alternative person in your organisation.